Northrop P-61 Black Widow 1/144 Scale Diecast Metal Model by Air Force 1
FREE SHIPPING IN THE US AND US TERRITORIES
1:144 Scale Diecast Metal – P-61 Black Widow– Length: 4.25" Wingspan: 5.5”
This collection of models is made by Air Force 1 under the brand name of Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.
This Black Widow model has its landing gear extended permanently. The wheels on the landing gear do not turn. The model is mostly made of metal and very heavy/dense. It is certainly not a toy and will not survive been played with or a fall.
An all metal display stand is included. This display needs some minor assembly. The type of airplane and scale of the model are printed on the display stand.
The box is labeled as Adult Collectible Model and Recommends 14 and older.
Although it is a small scale, the details are very impressive. From the photos one can see and appreciate the transparent cockpit windshield. The engines are part of the wing assembly, which in turn is one single piece. There are very few gaps and/or joints in this model.
The maker of the model, Air Force 1, really did a good job with the model, the panel lines and details are very clear and crisp.What really caught my attention, however, is the way the markings and coloring. Look at the photos and you will see very clear and crisp nose art and markings.
The Northrop P-61 Black Widow, named for the American spider, was the first operational U.S. warplane designed as a night fighter, and the first aircraft designed to use radar.The P-61 had a crew of three: pilot, gunner, and radar operator. It was armed with four 20 mm (.79 in) Hispano M2 forward-firingcannons mounted in the lower fuselage, and four .50 in (12.7 mm) M2 Browningmachine guns mounted in a remote-controlled dorsal gun turret.
It was an all-metal, twin-engine, twin-boom design developed during World War II.The first test flight was made on 26 May 1942, with the first production aircraft rolling off the assembly line in October 1943. The last aircraft was retired from government service in 1954.